Monday 17 December 2018

9. Retinal Clinics and Diagnostics


After enjoying a well-deserved day off, which I used as an opportunity to venture out, explore the city and some local tourist attractions – I found myself once again waking up early in the morning on the most dreaded day of the week. Monday 17th December, the start of our second and last week here at LVPEI. I continued with my normal morning routine; turning off my alarm, closing my eyes again, enduring a 5-minute mental battle where I try to convince myself to get out of bed, and eventually make my way into the shower whilst playing some music to change my mood. I’m the certain type of individual that needs a shower every morning to start my day, often stumbling into the shower in a zombie-like manner and strolling back out a new and refreshed man, ready to face any challenges the day may provide.

Every morning my colleagues and I have enjoyed our first meal of the day at the on-site staff canteen, sampling a range of Indian breakfasts during our stay. Before travelling to India, I had the somewhat naïve belief that I would lose a lot of weight due to the strict vegetarian policy employed at the institute, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. I only have the flavoursome and inexpensive meals to blame, paired with my eagerness to indulge every time I find myself in the cafeteria. I’m probably being dramatic, and realistically don’t think I’ve put any weight on, but I’ll wait for my family to let me know when I get back – which I’m sure they’ll have no reservations in doing. Today I was placed in the retina department where I spread my time between both the clinics and the diagnostic rooms, which included a series of detailed imaging machines.

The first patient of the day was a 61-year-old female who was accompanied by her concerned daughter. As the patient walked into the room what was most apparent was the extreme thickness of her lenses, which stuck out from the side of the frame. Retinoscopy revealed the patient had extremely high myopia (‘short-sightedness’), with one of the main causes of this being a ‘long’ eyeball, with increased axial length. An extensive history and symptoms revealed the patient had suffered from a motorcycle accident 4 years ago, subsequently suffering from 15 days of vomiting and was on bed-rest for 3 months following an operation to remove a blood clot on the brain. Since this incident, the patient had reported floaters, which are little black specs that appear in your vision, however these had not increased in size, number or frequency until the last 3 days. The patient explained that she was now experiencing flashing lights, developed photophobia and had stubbed her toe over the last few days on multiple occasions because she was unable to see the steps. Retinal detachment was the immediate diagnosis that both me and the optometrist on duty jumped too, and the patient was given some eyedrops and sent to the waiting room for 40minutes as we waited for their eyes to dilate. As the patient returned to the room indirect ophthalmoscopy was conducted, revealing a superior retinal detachment – explaining all the symptoms the patient was experiencing, including the lower visual field loss responsible for the patient stubbing their toe and having frequent trips and falls. Patients with high myopia (a high negative prescription) are far more likely to develop retinal detachment, to explain; this can be thought of as the retina being ‘stretched’ as the eyeball is longer, and therefore more likely to separate from the surface its bound to.

Patient number 2 I’m going to discuss was a 51-year-old male, who had developed a fistula in the brain that was compressing his optic nerve and had led to sudden but painless vision loss. Concerns were first reported round 3.5 years ago, when he first noticed a rapid deterioration in his vision that has continued to progress. The patient was a known diabetic, initially being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 years ago and had received medical care elsewhere. The previous medical history accompanied with the relevant documents explained that he was suffering from optic nerve atrophy as a result of the fistula in his brain tissue. I’m not sure of the exact science behind this and how the fistula leads to wasting away of the optic nerve, this is something I’ll need to look into further. On examination the patient had extremely poor vision, unable to see hand movements from as close as 10cm from this face. The patient did have perception to light, though he was unable to accurately describe the direction that light was coming from. Interestingly, the patient had developed a constant nystagmus, which is best described as rapid and involuntary movements of the eyes. This made it impossible for the optometrist to carry out a number of tests, including tonometry and ophthalmoscopy.

The 3rd and final patient I’m going to mention was a young 10-year-old male, who had attended over 30 appointments across the last 2 months. He had been previously diagnosed with endogenous endophthalmitis. This is a very rare and potentially blinding ocular infection, which results from a spread of bacteria from a remote primary source. The prognosis of this condition is reliant on an early diagnosis and the immediate administration of treatment to obtain the best visual outcome. In ideal cases, the causative bacteria would be identified and managed, though in this case it hadn’t yet been discovered, which isn’t uncommon. The patient was on numerous antibiotic eyedrops, the majority of which were wide spectrum with the aim of destroying the present bacteria and resolving the symptoms as best as possible. The optometrist explained that a vitreous fluid biopsy had been taken and was hopeful the exact infective microorganism would be discovered.

Spending a short amount of time in the retina diagnostic room enabled me to view some state-of-the-art machines and understand how they work and allow us to diagnose conditions with high sensitivity and accuracy. Of specific mention are the ocular ultrasound and Topcon DRI OCT Triton, which contains a number of different imaging settings allowing you to view different structures of the eye using varied contrasts to allow the tissues to be viewed in more detail. I haven’t ever seen an imaging system like this and the quality of the images produced were extremely crisp and clear. During my time using this machine I was able to see some retinal angiography images, as well as a case of retinitis.

This day was quite interesting due to the complexity of the cases I encountered, however it was not as hands on as some of the other clinics have been. I spent pretty much all of my time in observation, which is the reason I’m here, but after a while this can get tedious as I prefer a more involved approach. Tomorrow I’m lucky enough to be posted in the operating theatre where I’ll witness some routine surgeries, and then will spend my afternoon in the glaucoma clinic.

I’d like to thank you all that are still following my journey, and I’m grateful for the support that has seen me receive over 1550 views on my page so far across the last week! I’ll be back with you again, around the same time tomorrow J

No comments:

Post a Comment